Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Artist Spotlight : Koalarazorclock

Today we're going to be looking at some wonderful watercolors done by Erica who makes them available through her etsy shop koalarazorclock. Watercolor happens to be one of the types of painting I love to look at, but have no knack for personally. A fact I accept happily, because it doesn't stop me from appreciating the works of others.

Realistic Watercolor, Lovebirds
So first off, these sweet little birds caught my eye when I was browsing through Erica's work on etsy. They're bright and warm, with a blush of color under their beaks.

You can find a variety of different animals on her etsy page, as she does commission paintings of pets. As well as has options to do watercolor interpretations of your favorite family photos. This is a rather unique offering in my opinion. I've never seen it before, and I personally see the offer as a rather refreshing one. After all people tend to love art that pertains to themselves.



Over the Garden Wall Print

Of course I have to mention the Over the Garden Wall images. They're cute and fun and while I may not be well versed in how the show works, her watercolors catch the heart of what I do know about the show.

Her piece captures the characters youth, while also letting the viewer wonder what he's discussing. I'd like to think he might be disagreeing with his half brother Gregory over something silly.

I also have to point out the little details. Note the houses in the background with the lights on, and the dainty leaves on the tree branch that goes across a half moon. All these details add charm to the piece. (click the link beneath the image to see it on etsy)


Dog Art - Over The Garden Wall




Another piece reminiscent of characters from over the garden wall. She made this one after being inspired by an unnamed wolf character in the show.

This one is also multi purpose though, for those of you that may want to decorate a child's room with fairy tale like images. After all, a wolf with the quote "You Have Beautiful Eyes!" Sure makes me think about Little Red Riding Hood.







Custom Animal Print : Animals in Clothing 





I can't show off her pieces without mentioning this adorable as well as classically charming option. Many people laugh at the idea of dressing their pets up in clothing, often because the task itself isn't an easy one. After all pets aren't really shaped for real apparel.

But that's where these adorable paintings come in. You can have your pet painted into clothing. That's right! Your pet painted into an adorable outfit, an image to add whimsy to your home or office, while still keeping the focus on your pet.





I asked Erica what her favorite subjects were to paint. She responded: "My favorite subjects are people, I like trying to capture something about them. I also like doing animals for the same reason, I think they have just as much personality most of the time."

You can really tell this is true when you look through the pieces that she has displayed as both available and as examples in her etsy shop. She takes good care to keep her pictures true to their source, while still giving them a loving touch of her own flare.

When asked where she found the inspiration to create her paintings she had a wonderful answer.
I'm inspired by seeing other people's artwork, and since I work in a museum that's easy to come by. Richmond also has a lot of murals, which I love. Even when I don't like them I find it inspiring to see someone's vision just in my day to day life on a building I happen to be passing. They're popping up all over so it's lovely to run across a new one, or to know that your errand will take you by one of your favorites.

One of the last questions I asked is one that I feel is very important. When it comes to newer artists it's always nice to have advice from someone who has done pieces that may inspire them. I asked her what advice she has for aspiring artists.
My best advice would just be to practice without judging your work. The more you do anything the more you'll learn and get better, but if you think you suck or are no good you'll become discouraged and won't give yourself the opportunity to improve. So just keep going, try to analyze what you like and don't like about what you've done and what other people have done without passing judgement on yourself. Its not necessary to be the best and no matter how good you ever get there will be people better, and people who don't like your stuff.
If you were interested in seeing more of her work, or maybe even commissioning a piece of your own, please check out her etsy shop koalarazorclock (Just click on the name and it will take you right on over). She's a sweetheart to communicate with, and she has a beautiful collection of available pieces, all you need to do is look.

No comments:

Post a Comment