Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Losing Media : Disney Movie Club

 I am posting this, more as a thought on the current trend I have been witnessing. Where online streaming is replacing hard copy media. People seem to be enjoying the convenience of online movie rentals, as well as audio streaming. But what does that mean for people in the long term?


What happens now with the movie club closing? How do people locate copies of hard to find Disney movies? Are they going to frown on people downloading titles that are not included in the Disney+ line up? What is the actual purpose of closing the movie club? Because in all honesty I don't feel it was really offering the films at a discount. What it did do though was make it a little easier to get copies of hard to find things.

This is where I finally got an official copy of Mr. Boogedy, and The Bride of Boogedy. Previously I had only been able to get a copy that someone transferred from a TV tape of the original airing of the films on the Disney Night Movies. The quality of the official DVD is much better (even though the slight clipping of commercials takes me back to the copy my parents had for us that we watched foreverrrrrr)

I know that right now the Disney company seems to be trying to cut the fat. The movie club really can't compete with Amazon at this point, especially with the Disney+ service being offered. Disney+ makes it much easier to watch the majority of their content.  But not everything is available there.

Anyway, I just wanted to save a screenshot of their goodbye page, as well as the 3 panel image they sent in their goodbye email. Mostly because I am sorry to see it go, even if I only used it minimally. Some things will still be remembered while they are gone. 

My worry now though, is what do we do when physical copies are being made obsolete? They're not making DVDs as readily available at stores anymore, so how are we going to get copies of the movies we love and want to collect for places and times there are no streaming services available? It's definitely something to keep in mind.









No comments:

Post a Comment