Friday, July 10, 2020

Book Shelf Revisited: Did The Good Old Boy Do It?

When you look at a books title, sometimes you get an image in your head that is impossible to shake. That's what happened when I read the title of this piece. It didn't matter how the Author kept describing "Bubba" to look, I kept seeing him as one of my little brothers.

Now isn't that a scary thought?

Bubba and the Dead Woman
by C.L. Bevill
526 pages

Bubba and The Dead Woman, doesn't seem to be a serious story as you start to read it. The writing is stylistic, and light in nature. But that light nature, doesn't change the fact that it is very descriptive. It is both descriptive, effective, and a hell of a lot of fun.

This book is a murder mystery, revolving around an old plantation. There are gold diggers, and liars, and to be plain honest, the murderer was the last person that I expected it to be. There are shotguns, hunting dogs, and cowboy hats. As well as simple diner food.

They mention things that are plausible. Magazine articles that may have been written, as well as the kind of reactions that some stories can have on people. (Let's say they think there's gold buried in the back yard, of course they'll start digging holes in it when you're not looking.)

yes this story would be a good read for a male or female audience, even though there are some slightly romantic moments. I'm sure that given the way that the story is written, the male audience would easily overlook the fluffy lovey notes.

I got my copy from the B & N Nook bookstore for free. But what is even better, it has a lend me option, so if one of my friends wanted to read it, I can loan it to them. The LendMe option is available on a lot more eBooks than I realized, which is nice for those times when a book is difficult to find, or the price has changed, or maybe a friend isn't sure they want to commit to the book yet or not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted November 10th, 2011 at http://thebookshelfgoblin.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment