Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Checking in : Because I Should

I  know I have fallen off the wagon again. But things in general are crazy the whole world 'round. So I am sure many of you understand how it can feel like there's little to discuss or write about. Mostly because many of us are stuck at home. I'm not even sure about writing about possible events that were supposed to be happening this year. A large number of them have already been postponed or cancelled, which is both good and bad.

Good because it is being social health responsible. By not having events where large a number of people gather, it helps reduce opportunities for infection by the virus. But it is leading to social isolation which is hard on people that do enjoy socializing.

Myself as an example. I went from having work 5/7 days a week, tabletop gaming 2-3 days out of seven a week, and social outings with my friends as they would present themselves to staying home. And I usually would get to see my boyfriend, even if just for a little bit at least 6/7 days. Now I get to see him incredibly sparsely and it is a little stressful. We have been called into work on a rare occasion since they imposed the pause, but we worked on disinfecting the school, each of us alone in our sections. But at least we were able to see other people and be out of our houses for a small amount of time.

So now I have a problem. I am a social person, and my social opportunities went from a fair number of days to basically nil. My wonderful boyfriend thought maybe this is an ideal time to go back into Second Life. So the past.... 5 days or so I've started exploring in sl again and looking for things to do. It is definitely filling my lack of social encounters, because the avatars are an illusion of other people. Each one another person in a digital world just like myself.

I know it is not everyones cup of tea. But for me it is helping. Last night we found a sim called Chronicles of Waterdeep, which is a dungeons and dragons themed role play sim. We are thinking about joining in on some para rp, or maybe even some of the missions depending on how many of us end up going. But I just wanted to check in. And share a few snapshots I took from in world. It's not the same as being out in rl, but it is nice.

The sim has an in world visualization of The Yawning Portal, a place that is well known to modules and various dnd campaigns. 

We paused there to enjoy the atmosphere. I was excited because I thought there were ears scattered about on the table... When they finished rezzing they were roses and rose petals. XD

The details throughout the sim are gorgeous! It was fun to bounce around and check things out.

They even have a fully stocked wizarding tower!

And  different places to hang out and just enjoy the atmosphere.


I am definitely looking forward to getting my character sorted out and being able to play with other people.
Yes I know there are other opportunities to play. But I have... a hesitation in doing text only or voice only. I miss the visual aspect of having people all together at a table playing. I even miss things like... fishing or making things in some of the other games. Because even though you may be doing things alone, other characters drift in and out letting you feel as though you are part of something.

Plus... Sometimes I have a short attention span q.q So visuals help me focus.

Anyway. there I have checked in. Not such a bad check in I guess. Maybe a little visual heavy than I have done of late, but If I can't go out, I may as well share some of what I am doing while I am stuck in. I hope things are treating you well, and that you have something in your life that is bringing you joy in this time of turmoil.

No comments:

Post a Comment