Friday, May 31, 2013

Late Night TV or...

What's On The Tube When You Can't Sleep.

So to be honest, I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately. Which means I've been trying a few different solutions. I've tries counting sheep. Tried sleeping aids. Now am trying TV.

Sunday night I watched The Black Dahlia.  I flipped it on because the title sounded interesting. I've always been interested in crime, and I have my own morbid interest in seeing how people look at the unsolved ones. This movie surprised me on multiple levels. The costumes were done well, and the characters presented were believable.

But what surprised me more than anything else was the lesbian undertones in the film. Not only that it was there, but in the way that the film showed this as being accepted. It was an interesting thing to see considering how some people react to the idea now. But as with many films that are made these days about crime, it was full of fiction. There are a number of websites devoted to debunking the fictions around the crime, and many believe that the crime will never be solved. Which is unfortunately likely the sad truth.

Monday night I watched a movie from 1941 called Dive Bomber. It was a good movie, even if it was old. To be honest I didn't realize it was as old as it turns out to be. The colors in it are wonderful, and the story does provoke curiosity. Is it a fact or fiction film?

According to what I can find it's fiction. There's a number of different statements about the film that indicate this. Dive Bomber was not the usual type of film that I would watch. But it does fit in with the things that I have been writing about on the blog recently. It does reflect some points of  naval history, as well as look at some interesting concerns about flight. I think a lot of us take the secure safety of flights now for granted.

The planes in the film were really interesting, some of them were very colorful. According to what I've read there are a number of people that enjoy the film because of the planes that are shown in it. They were interesting to see. Planes are always interesting, a little more so than cars. I mean, after all, they fly.

Beyond that I've been watching a show on Animal Planet about River Monsters. I am not one that enjoys fishing, but it's fascinating to see the types of creatures that live underwater. Some of them really are monsters. But they're real. I guess in some ways that's the scariest part.

But on the most part, I'm watching a little bit of TV now and then... I wonder if it's going to do anything more than rot my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment